althor

Althor improvements

You can't possibly know how much i am happy to see this :).

It's just awesome.

However, if i insisted so much about using those new gates, is because i feel like Morrowind is a game engine getting old, and we should either give the Gates a reason of being, i mean: a mod, or you could consider porting them on other engines....

But anyway, great work, just like usual :D.

althor   

Gray Wolf, i will think about porting this to Fallout 3

you can speed up this process by helping me to solve problem with de-synchronisation:

how do synchronise two objects rotation (in different frames) (avoiding "child object"->setangle )

<frame start> <objects with old animation params> <controller start/stop animation> <objects with new animation params> <frame end>

Althor, I do not understand much of your message, but in the case of Oblivion/Fallout 3, this can be fixed easily by making a reference "parented" to another. So, i know it can disable and enable along with its parent reference, but for moving and changing angles, i don't know yet.

However, what is the sync problem exactly, as seen in-game?

althor   

Gray Wolf, on the video above, gate consist of two rings and eight markers. all this objects rotation must be synchronised. but for group of them (those who rendered before controller ) animation start or ends on the next frame ,and you can see difference in their positioning (like disappearing symbols on the gate that already dialled). they are simply lagging from rings for one frame.

Ah, i see ._. Well, as far as I know, in computer systems, there will always be one command preceding the other, I don't know how this can be bypassed, sorry.

I believe the only way to counter this is to "play" on the aesthetics of the Gate, and to make the markers not hide in the gate, maybe by making the markers stand out of the gate a little more...

It's a hard problem, i agree... :angry:

EDIT: I think i found a way to at least partially fix this, Althor :D.

I wonder if it would be possible to move the markers one "click" in the opposite direction they will go when the gate will spin...

So let's imagine the markers are one click too much at left, then just before moving them along with the gate, just move them one click at right, so when they will start spinning with the gate, they will be replaced in the right position... Then, once a chevron locks, the gate is about to spin again. Then if it spins clockwise, JUST BEFORE it starts spinning, just spin the markers one click in the counter-clockwise direction. Then when they will spin, they will be replaced in the right position...

I am not sure if this solution can work, or if it is right, but maybe you can try using this as a base, or ... maybe you tried that before :s...

Anyway, i'm trying to help, that's already a good thing :)

althor   

Synchronization code, as good as simple

float secpass
if ( sg_gatesyn == 0 ) 
set secpass to GetSecondsPassed
if ( secpass != sg_grot )
	set sg_gatesyn to 1
else 
	set sg_grot  to GetSecondsPassed
	return	
endif
endif

gate re-textured, video re-uploaded ;)

PLEASE don't comment me there

video 1024x768 px in HD (40mb)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WycmuPkEKOA

Jojo83i, il est Russe, il ne comprend que très peu le français... il vaut mieux parler en anglais si tu espères qu'il te comprendra :).

Althor: Jojo83i says that he's currently modelling the Destiny stargate on Google Sketchup.

I don't know if it will be useful on Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout, but now that i remember, i think there is a place where you could have your work seriously loved.

There is a game called Garry's Mod, wich is a Half Life 2 modification, that allows players to play with the game's objects. There is a big Stargate mod on it, that allows players to place Stargates, DHDs, and other stargate objects and use them at will. Players can for example build a stargate fort where they can defend from attackers by installing an iris, and some other things. there are many technological items like Shield, Goa'uld canon, Wraith ray, and weapons from the TV shows.

It's not a battle mod, it's a Sandbox game, kind of like if you mixed Morrowind and the Construction Set together :).

So, there is this stargate mod, and i believe your work could be really appreciated there.

However, i seriously don't advise you to show your work on their community forum, Facepunch Studios. The EXTREME MAJORITY of their members are 13 years old kids that keep crying and make forum wars. Facepunch is a really bad forum, but if you stick to talking with private messages to the mod's creator, aVoN, you should have no problem :).

The mod's topic: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=830816 ( it expires each 50 topic pages )

However, i believe changing engine completely can be difficult. I don't know if you have any experience on the Source Engine. But i can help you if you need ;).

althor   

Gray Wolf, i know about Garry's Mod. i don't want to do anything with it. it doesn't interesting to me.

"you could have your work seriously loved.", Gray Wolf, please, i don't want to gain someone's respect or love.it's not my purpose

I know it is :) It's just that in french, we tend to call a "work" something someone produces, and it filters partially into english too:).

does any chances that we can use it ? or it will be useless, and i better stop doing this ?
Th answer is yes and no.

Yes because we can create Destiny, the new dhd and stargate easliy (it just takes some time to do it).

But the answer is also no because it can't be added to our mod for now. The background doesn't integrate any power source that could be used to dial Destiny. Moreover, the NPC isn't smart enought to understand how he can create or use such power source. Even if we do it, it would takes month to create every new nif, and a quest to use the nine's chevron... :(

althor   

Confridín, forget about Destiny ;) as we told earlier with Gray Wolf: it can be twin ship ( not same design ,but uses a same technologies and new gate) somewhere in a Pegasus galaxy (possibly docked on a shipyard, finished, but isn't launched)

it is a good way not to interact with SGU story line

Yes, it's a good idea.

But it's going to take a lot of time. I can help, but i won't have as much time as io had when is was working on Morrowind Stargate.

SeiKen   

Althor, if you want, you could create an add-on for our mod. We want to encourage that (tweaking our mod or provide new planets/quests).

If you want to, just talk about it a little in this forum and keep us posted on a beta or a release.

You are a great modeler and animator, and I'm sure that you could do such a lovely work ;)

althor   

SeiKen, i already have one unfinished project, so i don't want to start an another one ( at least not alone )

"You are a great modeler and animator", thanks for the trust,but obviously, it is overstatement

Hi Althor,

As i'm no longer unemployed, i've just got one week to finish the 2nd version of Morrowind Stargate.

Can we use your new stargate (the SG1 one) ?

althor   

Confridín, yes you may. stop asking me. you can also modify it the way as you want

p.s new update fixes problem with black lit chevrons

also i have remade dialing sequence video with original gates.

Edited by althor