Sign in to follow this  

Dangerous Gaming Injuries And How To Avoid Them

Imagine that you can no longer grasp a can of soda without your wrist feeling like it wants to explode. That, my friend, is what that innocent-looking game console can do to you. I’m not speaking about this as a medical expert, or as a concerned parent hoping to sway kids from playing video games, but as a witness to the pain and suffering that extreme gaming can cause to the human body.

My gaming addiction actually started when I was about 13 – caused by the original Ultima series produced by Origin Systems. After seeking out magic runes and battling cyclops well into the night, I had officially caught the gaming bug. It was an affliction that stuck with me through the rest of high school, into college, and even into my early marriage and parenting years. I eased off of gaming a little in college, but it wasn’t until after our children had entered their toddler years and there was a little more free time, that I re-entered the gaming action in full-force once again. That time, it was Medal of Honor Online.

The combination of staying up all night playing Medal of Honor, working at a desk all day as an automation engineer, and then writing online in the evenings eventually took its toll. I started feeling a strange tingling in the wrist, combined with a numb feeling up the side of my thumb. This eventually evolved into a terrible pain whenever I bent my wrist or my thumb at a certain angle or squeezed my hand.  I was completely at a loss as to what was causing it, until one night while gaming, I realized that I was resting my wrist flat on the desk, with my hand tilted at an odd upward angle on top of the mouse. It was then that it dawned on me – I officially had Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.

For More Details

Product Innovation Marketing Examples