althor

Althor improvements

Burning crazy ideas i have, right now, and completely random:

Have stargates as a transportation method in any game.

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Gmod, I don't care,

It would be nice to see for example the Destiny stargate in Gmod.

Actually, the problem is: we can't install these gates in any mod for the moment, because we need to write a complete plot about them for them to fit.

Like in Morrowind Stargate: Confridin doesn't wants to put them yet because he said there would be MUCH involvement into making the plot and quests and all; It would take too much time only to put the gates in.

My "on the moment" idea would be to put the gates in a "separate" world, like an entirely different content.

Instead of having to put it in a "fitting" universe, like...

Hmm let me tell you an example or two:

In Fallout 3, there is a mod called RTS wich allows to build a complete village on the map. The NPCs added in this mod often say that it IS a mod, and then break the fact it's a "context fitting RPG game". Here, the mod's content clearly shows it IS a mod, and knows this inconsistency: however, it allows it to work perfectly.

Second exemple still on Fallout 3: I am making a mod where you can have forests, trees, and a huge land with no radiated water and all, well, MANY new stuff. The reason that allows this is that it's entirely Virtual Reality, like the DLC Operation Anchorage. This is a "block reason" that shows we can use this mod's content with only ONE inconsistency without having to worry about the original game's universe and creating dozens of inconsistencies.

I am not sure you understand :s I might have written this randomly.

Well, what I mean is, we could use the awesome gates you made on Morrowind if we don't care about Morrowind's context, like for example my mod and RTS :).

althor   

the main problem as i think: when you creating a whole new world, with a new storyline, not bounded with old plot, you are breaking connections between players and the things they love in old game, and in this case you have to offer them something more impressive then they have seen before. This task even harder to implement.

For this cases you need to "grow up", and become game developer to make a new game.

I must agree you are right....

The solution i'm proposing here is if we want to use a specific game engine.

I am already making a game on a 2D engine called Adventure Game Studio as well, a free independant engine. It's a hard task to start from scratch :(.

althor   

this is very sadly when you know that only way to engage people to help you with your project is to hire them, and this means forget about friendship, or continue working on the enthusiasm in a team until compromises ruin your original ideas and rip the project

Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant, at all :(.

But i won't hide from you that working with people is what I want.

Sorry for double-posting :(.

All I could suggest right now would be doing something with the SGU gate. People love it, and something like a Dialling system in Flash or something like that would be fun to make and appreciated.

I could make it, if I had the required resources to do it :/

By the way, speaking of that gate, I made a "fake" one on Gmod; you can see the mechanics I used to make it spin :p ( it's a heavily retextured SG1 gate but with no moving ring, and modified chevrons except the two last ones ( pink error texture :( ) )

www.cyrilgossart.com/Goodies/Gmod/gmod-SGUgate.MP4

( Yes , i know, you can see the electro-magnets I used to stop the gate from spinning :). )

I have lately been in mood to make something Stargate-related, but have no idea what :(.

althor   

you make me cry :cry2:

p/s i sent you link in PM with my model for 3dsmax (with tex, and sounds)

i hope you found it useful

I SERIOUSLY should consider buying Crysis some time...:angry:

I got a random burning ( or rather freezing ^^ ) idea for you, Althor...

It's about the Gates, but also about Morrowind.

I'm feeling extremely nostalgic of the game again, and thought about a mod I made on it LONG ago. It was like the main Stargate Mod, but I used the models and textures with Confridin's authorization, but reworked the scripts entirely by myself to make the gates teleport from within Morrowind. I planted like 20 + gates all over Vvardenfell and Solstheim, giving some kind of early fast-travel.

I also encountered a LOT of mods that give a player house here and here and here, but all always used Morrowind's basic meshes, and I never really liked it. I wanted some new stuff. Especially about Solstheim ^^.

So, well, if you want, you can re-use this idea :). I dont' know, plant some gates again all over the game's world, like two per region, and would maybe require extra power for dialing to a separate Island, just to add some difficulty :)

And also, a special adress ( i think of A-14-7-9-3-5-ORIGIN :yeuxtournants:) would gate the player to another place, a house again, but with entirely new models, maybe a destiny-like architecture, but with a more "happy" look to it.

I have random ideas. Feel free to like only the ones you want to :p.

EDIT: such mod would mean it's "for fun" and has not to explain itself. I mean: it's like the mod says "i'm here, and we must not care about me being here" :).

Althor, i'm working with your last version.

But there is some bugs... Can you help ?

• An error in a script
    Unable to find referenced object "sg_nchevn" in script sg_incoming.
  • The gate is always opened, and the vortex keeps goin in and out.
  • Can't dial anymore the stargate.
  • There is many textures missing...
    TES3Stream Warning: Model "Meshes\l\lamp_mezh01.nif" tex not found "@_Misc_lantern_paper_02.dds"!
    TES3Stream Warning: Model "Meshes\l\lamp_mezh01.nif" tex not found "@_metal_iron_rusty.dds"!
    TES3Stream Warning: Model "Meshes\l\lamp_mezh01.nif" tex not found "@_metal_strip_02X.dds"!
    TES3Stream Warning: Model "Meshes\l\lamp_mezh02.nif" tex not found "@_Misc_lantern_paper_02.dds"!
    TES3Stream Warning: Model "Meshes\l\lamp_mezh02.nif" tex not found "@_metal_iron_rusty.dds"!
    TES3Stream Warning: Model "Meshes\l\lamp_mezh02.nif" tex not found "@_metal_strip_02X.dds"!
  • And i don't really understand what you changed about sunticah quest.

Thanks for your help.

althor   

ok,it might take some time .. so i will update my post several times

at first: i admit, there some incompatibility in different versions of 3.xx plugin

and in this files sg-adapt.esp sg-TEST.esp also. Also there are a "memory" effect present: game stores in savegames, script vars for objects, so when scripts are changing game runs saved scripts with errors. This incompatibility can break all changes i made in Sunticah Quest, so that quest is needed to be rewrite. so ... (below)

point1

script sg_incoming is used for starting incoming animation in earliest version. now it can also be deleted. new states was added to Chevron script

p2-p3

does this happen in sg-adapt.esp or sg-TEST.esp ?, it is because of new puddle animation states that changes several scripts (SG_Scr_activator SG_Scr_Vortex1 SG_Scr_VortexInstable)

In good way you must use sg-adapt_2c, apply your changes and then, manually apply changes from sg-adapt_3

p4

sorry,probably i used replacer plugin for that mesh and forgot about it. this mesh used only Mezhchanus (?) so you can delete it

p5

the idea was: after player finds the Sunticah address, and trying to dial it, we will add journal entry like "gate won't accept seven symbol ... is this gate broken or address incorrect ... i must try it on another gate later ", so, when the player found Mezhchanus location and read notice, gate powering up and become ready to dial Sunticah address.

when player travels through stargate to Sunticah he discovers that there are no dial device (it is important, because ancient use this place for meditation and it is another galaxy so it is trouble with new type of DHD and different gate addresses) After he read the book (illumination ?) and stands close enough to gate, gates opens by itself and suggest player last chance to leave this place.

so i suggest ...

first, decide will you use this scenario or you has your own (because since i have changed gate script, in my version, seven chevrons address can't be dialled)

second, i can tell you how to manual apply changes for new puddle animation (because it is only this different in gate script of 2. and 3. versions )

althor   

Confridín, also i want to ask you: was Mezhchanus once used by Dwemers or not ? If it is, i want you to add there connection to my quest story in a form of letter ( this letter says what chimers troops getting closer to gate site...and commands to all dwemers return to Nirn for defense and evacuation procedure. also one team must go to evacuation site and prepare it. letter end with 8 chevron address ). and this: does Mezhchanus like a space station drifting in space ? if it is, i suggest to leave there ( and enhance) "gate powering up" stuff as means to dial another galaxy (8 chevron address)

Mezhchanus is supposed to be an old mine.

It has no link with dewmer or a space station.

For next version of the mod, i haven't decied yet what i'm gonna do about it.

althor   

it's a live ! it's flies ! :yeah:

post-544-1266185255,1894_thumb.jpg

*deleted

but it could been much better if Morrowind can correctly sort transparent surfaces, but it doesn't

so you can see that ugly white spot :(

Edited by althor